Some of the best foods to help with a healthy immune system include:
1. Garlic- Garlic has always been known to have benefits for good health and an effective immune system. This food is very high in sulfur compounds, and this explains the very strong smell and taste that it has in raw form. These substances help fight against all microbes and pathogens and can give your health and defense a big boost.
2. Yogurt- Yogurt is a top pick in any category. This item is normally packed with live digestive bacterial cultures and probiotics. In addition it is very high in calcium and protein, both of which your body needs to fight off illness and disease.
3. Oatmeal- Oatmeal is a perfect dietary staple no matter what your health and nutritional goals are. This is very high in fiber and contains protein and other nutrients that help you stay strong and fit. In addition oatmeal is very filling and helps to prevent heart disease and stroke, as well as causing weight and body fat loss.
4. Green Tea- This type of tea is very rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients that can stimulate exceptional immune function and make your body more effective. In recent years the research on this tea has been very promising and the health benefits are many.
5. Fish- Salmon, tuna, and many other high oil fish are an excellent dietary choice that can boost how efficient your body can protect against sickness and disease. These foods contain omega 3 fatty acids that are beneficial to all of your tissues and systems.
6. Shellfish- Oysters and other shellfish contain zinc, magnesium, and many other minerals and nutrients that are needed for excellent physical condition. Selenium is another important component that this dietary group can provide, and individuals who enjoy shellfish on a regular basis normally stay healthier and get sick less often.
7. Mushrooms- This fungus has been used for many centuries, and new scientific studies have proven that these choices can be powerful. There are compounds in all types of mushrooms that promote white blood cell production in the body. In addition these compounds and substances also make the white cells produced more aggressive so they have a higher level of effectiveness.
8. Citrus Fruits- Citrus fruits are very high in vitamin C, which is a known cancer fighter and helps you fight off colds and other illnesses caused by microbes. When large doses of this vitamin are taken during a viral infection the duration of the illness and the symptom severity have been reduced by a considerable amount.
9. Red Bell Peppers- In addition to large levels of vitamin C red bell peppers also contain a lot of beta carotene, another nutrient that is ideal for excellent health. Many tips for a strong immune system include adding this vegetable to your diet several times a week.
10. Onions- Onions have many sulfur compounds just like garlic does, and this food can add support as well as flavor. The flavonoid antioxidants included in onions are quercetin, allicin and anthocyanins.